Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Stagecoach... best western ever?






1. Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.
Stagecoach was made in 1939. AlWesterns weren’t as big during this time period as before, John Ford made it it so good that it won oscars. In class we  talked about the characters (anti- heros, characters who have somthing quirky about them or dont fit the persona... "prostitute with the heart of gold") The prostitute Dallas was actually a realy good person even though everyone else didn’t treat her like a Woman.  The banker, who is supposed to be someone people trust, who is respected in the comunity , unlike the prostitute,  but in reality he was just a greedy person who stole money from his own bank and was later arrested.  

2.  Find a related article and summarize the content.
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may/23/entertainment/la-ca-second-20100523
 this article talks about how  Typically for Ford, the making of a western was unheard of and  was both unassuming but well calculated.  It also talks about how ford got so much worldwide recognition for this movie and will go down in history as one of the best movies made.  

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.
 The article really showed what it took to make this movie . Ford  had a risky idea,  on John Wayne and that not only bettered his career but gave Stagecoach the perfect actor to play Ringo. This is what we learned in class that at the time westerns were not that popular or taken as a joke.  Ford proves that he is a great director. 
4) Write a critical analysis of the film
There were Westerns before it, Stagecoach  i believe set the tempo  for all movie Westerns to come. Director John Ford combined action, drama, humor, and a set of well-drawn characters in the story of a stagecoach I believe stagecoach is not just one of the greatest and most influential Westerns ever made.  The way the characters are portrait keeps you on the edge of your seat and doest let you sit back.  
1) ( x ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class. 

2) ( x ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper. 

3) ( x ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text. 

4) ( x ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper. 

5) ( x ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read. 

6) ( x ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography. 

7) ( x ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality. 

8) ( x ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper. 

Name: ___Ken Bradley             Date: ___October 20, 2013__________

No comments:

Post a Comment